Monday, July 26, 2010

Disappointed

I went to a birthday party yesterday for my friend’s son. 

First, I was very glad to get to see some of my old friends that I haven’t had a chance to hang out for a while.  That was a lot of fun!

Second, I realized that since I quit smoking on January 4 (yay!!), I have not faced such a huge challenge as I did yesterday.  Almost everyone was a smoker.  The habit of smoking with these same people was pushing at me horribly and driving me nuts!  I finally at one point went inside to use the restroom because I didn’t want to just stand outside NOT smoking!  Grrr…  but yay!!!  Gotta keep reminding myself of that “yay”!

Third, I met a person in real life who wears an insulin pump!  I actually have a friend close by who just got a pump but I haven’t gotten to hang with her in a while and thus have not seen her pump.

Regarding this third point… I was disappointed that this diabetic of 24 years who has been pumping for 12 was not the kind of diabetic I’ve come to know through the online diabetic community, and I was quite disappointed. 

I realized that although my mom is a T1 and I know other people who are diabetics, I didn’t truly realize what it all meant until I was almost hospitalized with DKA and started taking multiple daily injections and keeping tracking of my numbers. 

Then I found Kerri’s blog and was so fascinated with what I was reading! Even though I’m a T2, here was something that I could relate to.  I went all the way back to some of her earliest blogs (yes I did and it was a LOT of reading!).  I learned a LOT more about my own diabetes even though it was different, and I found other people who related other things they knew, and then I started my own blog.  And although I do state in title that it’s about anything that pops into my head, it ends up being mostly about diabetes.  It’s a community that I enjoy being part of.

So even though I sometimes feel like a T1 wanna-be (more on that later), I’m still a diabetic who takes multiple daily injections of insulin and if that’s the way its going to be forever, then I’d definitely consider pumping.  And the OCD part of me loves knowing my numbers and would love to know how my BG’s trend and would love a CGMS (really?  I would love one?  yes that’s a little sad…).  So I was kinda excited to meet a pumper!  I jumped over and was like WOW is that an insulin pump!?!  And what did I get in return?  A look.  Like, wow, are you two years old?  That was the look.  So then I felt I had to explain why I thought it was cool.  And that’s kind of difficult when you’re a T2 and “shouldn’t be taking insulin in the first place whats wrong with you” (again, more on that later),  but I don’t want to stick myself with a needle all the time for the rest of my life if that’s what it comes down to, so I was excited.  How disappointing to run into someone who acted like I was an idiot.  I don’t really know for sure since I’ve never met any other D-bloggers, but I just don’t feel like that was the reaction I would have gotten.

By the way, I wasn’t actually THAT over-enthusiastic about her pump, but she made me feel like I had been!

No comments:

Post a Comment