Sunday, August 8, 2010

mmmmm food!

Dustin and I recently discussed that we should start getting into shape.  He had gone through and done a whole lot of healthy changes before he met me and wants to get back to them.  I had lost a ton of weight, probably because my blood sugar was so high, but it showed me that I COULD lose that much weight if I actually work at it.

So when we went grocery shopping the other day we tried to pick out healthy stuff and lots of fruits and veggies and high protein meats and stuff (ok, mostly chicken).  We did a pretty good job, I think!  I have some high fiber cereal to take to work with me, along with some salads, so it'll be real good!

This morning, in an effort to eat something yummy yet healthy and D-friendly, I was browsing through my saved emails from Diabetic Living and looking at their suggested recipes.  I figure I should be able to come across something that I have ingredients on hand for, and it'll be healthy and D-friendly all at the same time.  And wow did I ever!


Fruit Filled Puff Pancakes










Nonstick cooking spray
1/4 cup refrigerated/frozen egg product OR 1 egg
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
2 tbsp fat-free milk
2 tsp cooking oil
Dash of salt

1 tbsp reduced-sugar orange marmalade
1 tbsp orange juice or water
1 small banana, sliced
1/2 cup sliced fresh strawberries or fresh blueberries

1.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Coat two 4 1/4 inch pie plates, OR 4 1/2 inch foil tart pans, OR 10 oz. custard cups with nonstick spray.  Set aside.

2.  In a medium bowl use a beater or whisk to beat egg, flour, milk, oil, and salt until smooth.  Divide batter among prepared pans.  Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes or until brown and puffy.  Turn off oven and let stand in oven for 5 minutes.

3.  In a small bowl, stir together marmalade and orange juice or water.  Add bananas and strawberries or blueberries and stir gently to coat. 

4.  To serve, immediately after you remove the pancakes from the over transfer them to plates and spoon some of the fruit into the center.

Makes 2 servings.

Calories: 163   
Total Fat:  5
Saturated Fat:  1
Cholesterol:  0
Sodium:  138
Carbs:  26
Fiber:  3
Protein:  5

(Exchanges:  1 Fruit, 1 Other Carb, 1 Fat)

My Notes:
  • You could obviously make this to your liking and just calculate differently.  For example, you could use whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose, and that would change your carbs a bit. 
  • I'm sure you could use any kind of jam in place of the marmalade if you don't like marmalade.  If you end up using one that is not sugar-free or reduced sugar, then take that into account too.
  • I used an orange-mango-peach juice instead of orange juice or water with the fruit.  It was delicious still, but not sure it made a difference in flavor.
  • When you make the dough, you will look at it and think that there is NO WAY enough.  It only makes about 1/2 cup total, and its very thin and liquidy.  Just divide it between the two cups and pop them in.  They turned out AWESOME!
  • Last thing... I only ended up cooking mine for about 17 minutes before they were brown and puffy and on the verge of being TOO brown.  So keep an eye on them!
Enjoy!  And feel free to let me know how you liked them!  I know, its not my recipe, but its still nice to share and see how others like things!

No comments:

Post a Comment